FL police handle 348 calls during 6-day July 4th celebration

Cliff Buchan
News Editor

Medical calls on the Fourth of July kept city police and ambulance crews busy, Forest Lake Police Capt. Greg Weiss said this week.

Overall, it was a normal celebration in terms of police calls for service. During the six days of the 88th annual Fourth of July celebration, police handled 348 calls. The celebration opened on Friday, June 29 and ended on Wednesday, July 4.

With the temperature climbing to near 100 degrees by the end of the July 4th parade, Weiss said four heat-related medical calls came in between 12:20 p.m. and 12:27 p.m. Marchers in one of the parade units needed attention with one individual taken to Fairview Lakes Medical Center in Wyoming.

Two North Memorial ambulances were on scene at the Central Learning Center, the parade’s end point, to help the sick, Weiss said.

At 4:53 p.m. on July 4, police, Forest Lake Fire Department and medical personnel were called to North Shore Apartments, 1179 North Shore Drive, where a man had jumped head-first off a dock and could not feel his legs or feet after hitting the lake bottom, Weiss said.

Medics and firefighters treated Kevin M. Marquis, 25, at the scene and transported him to the parking lot at Faith Lutheran Church where North Memorial Air Care arrived and moved him by helicopter to Regions Hospital, St. Paul, as a precaution.

Other Incidents

Police arrested and jailed a city man at 11:42 p.m. on July 4 after responding to a domestic incident in the 5700 block of N. 214th Street.

Weiss said police were called to a verbal argument between a man and a woman that turned physical when the man allegedly grabbed the woman around the neck.

Police arrested Michael J. Sauvageau, 54. He was booked in the Washington County Jail in Stillwater and charged with felony strangulation in the fifth degree, domestic assault.

In incidents involving alcohol, Weiss said police were called to the 300 block of NW 2nd Avenue at 2:53 a.m. on July 5 where officers found a vehicle running with its lights on and the driver passed out behind the wheel.

After failing a field sobriety test and producing a .21 blood alcohol content, the Hugo man, 20, was arrested for driving while intoxicated.

At 10:54 p.m. on July 4th, police were called to the 22000 block of Imperial Ave. N. to investigate a report of a suspicious vehicle. Officers located the vehicle in the parking lot of Kulenkamp Park.

The driver, a 16-year-old male, was cited for driving while intoxicated and underage drinking. A male passenger in the vehicle, 17, was ticketed for underage drinking.

Both teens were released to their parents, Weiss said.