Scandia loses old house to arson
The fire that burned a house to the ground at 21617 Meadowbrook Ave. in the early morning of Monday, March 4, was not an accident.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office has found that the fire was caused by arson.
Fire Chief Jim Finnegan said the call came at 1 a.m.
Because the house was “fully involved,” including propane cylinders going off, the Scandia fire department requested assistance from mutual aid partners Forest Lake and Marine on St. Croix.
The house was not occupied, but the fire department took necessary precautions to check for squatters. The fire departments finished their work at 5 a.m.
Scandia residents know the house as the old Archie Forsell place, but the acreage was recently purchased by Curtis and Patricia Peterson of White Bear Lake.
Finnegan said the new owners had made plans to dismantle the building and use some of the lumber in their new home. The house was built in 1890, according to county property records.
Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Arson Tip Line at 1-800-723-2020 or complete the online form at www.mniaai.org and click on “Email A Tip” in the top right corner.