Teens ages 12 to 17 are invited to take advantage of Job Connection, a way for adults to get affordable help and youth to gain experience.
In this program, motivated youth are connected with older or disabled adults in Forest Lake and surrounding areas who need help with home chores and yard work.
Popular tasks include raking, shoveling, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping and organizing, but almost any chore can be done through the program.
Here is how Job Connection works:
1. Teens can either stop in at the Lakes Area Youth Service Bureau office at 244 North Lake St. in Forest Lake, call 651-464-3685 to receive an application in the mail, or visit www.ysblakesarea.org to print an application.
2. Youth who applied will be contacted to sign up for the group orientation session offered in May. Both the student and a parent or guardian must attend.
3. After the orientation, the worker’s name, age and phone number will be made available to local residents who have requested help with household chores or yard work. Referrals are made according to location and job type.
4. All arrangements for work are made directly between the adult and the youth. Adults phone the youth to discuss date, time and place that the youth will report for work, type of work that needs to be done and wages the youth will earn for their work.
5. The adults are on site to supervise the tasks.
6. After the work is done, Lakes Area Youth Service Bureau will follow up to see how the Job Connection worked out.
Job Connection is a referral service offered by Lakes Area Youth Service Bureau and Forest Lake Area Schools Community Education.
Adults who would like to be placed on the list should contact Andria at 651-464-3685 or [email protected]